Monday, 2 June 2014

Making the Best of Things


The internet is a lot like the humans who created it and now help it grow.  There's good stuff and bad. There's personal stuff and business stuff and hard stuff and fun stuff.  There's encouragement and hope.  There's cynicism and unkindness.  There's a sea of information, on any subject a person could imagine.

The internet is vast and expanding at an exponential rate, as fast as our thoughts, and ideas, and causes can carry it.

Everything I might say or do or think or know or imagine or share has already been said or done or thought or known or imagined or shared by someone else.  Within the vast universe of binary code that is the internet, the zeros and ones that encode the small amount I write are less significant than even a single speck of dust within the big, wide physical universe around us.

It was that thought that caused me to step back from blogging. If it's all be said or done or created or thought about and discussed, what's the point in saying anything at all?  I needed to take a break from all this on line stuff and re-engage with the real life world around me, and to restore my sense of proportion.

During my quiet months, something new occurred to me:

With so much information available to us, what really becomes important is not what is said or shared, but the intention behind the act of saying or sharing it.

I know, I know:  It's been thought, and said and written before.  

The newness (to me) in this idea comes in its application to my writing.  I'm returning to blogging because, although nothing I may say is new or revolutionary, I'm saying it out of my belief in the importance of positive thought, compassionate listening, and encouraging speech.

Actions taken or words spoken out of anger, hate, bitterness, or envy bring anger, hate, bitterness, or envy in return.  Negativity feeds on negativity.

Actions taken or words spoken out of hope, compassion, inspiration, or gratitude, bring positive change in return.  

We can't always control our circumstances, but we can control our responses to them and, in sharing positive thoughts and actions, we offer encouragement and inspiration to others along the way.

There are lots and lots of ways to make the best of our circumstances:

  • We can live frugally, making the best of our resources.
  • We can live respectfully, seeing the best in others and in our environment, and honouring what they have to share.
  • We can live gratefully, being thankful of the many "bests" each day has to offer us.
  • We can live pragmatically, accepting that there are some things we cannot change and seeking the best way to live within those circumstances.
  • We can be dreamers.  There are always things we can make better or grow into.  
  • We can practice empathy, striving to understand what others are experiencing and accepting that their "best" may be different from our own.
  • We can act with kindness and compassion, helping to bring out the best in ourselves and in those around us.

Making the best of things really does make things better  

and, while I know that none of us are at our best every moment of any day, we can all benefit from making a conscious effort to adopt a "making the best of it" attitude.

That's why I'm blogging again.