Friday, 6 September 2013

Here I Am; An Update


It's been about two months now since an unfortunate reaction to one of my prescriptions caused me to re-evaluate my approach to caring for my health. I set some pretty big goals at the time, and I thought you might like to know how I'm doing so far.

The first goal on my list was to encourage positive thinking in myself and in others.  I feel like I've done pretty well with this.  I've started a Facebook page to encourage myself and others along the way and it provides an impetus for me to turn my thoughts in the right direction.  There are lots of great resources out there and I'm having fun finding them.

The second goal on my list was to perform at least one small, anonymous act of kindness each day.  I'm so glad I set that goal!  This one small thing has gone further to brighten my outlook than anything else I've ever tried.  The emotional boost I get from mindfully watching those around me and then finding some small way to lift someone else's spirits is immeasurable.  I highly recommend it.

I've had mixed success with my third goal; to do some sort of exercise every day.  I'm a long-time couch spud and changing that mind set is requiring real effort of me.  I've been making better progress lately, though, thanks to a TED talk by Matt Cutts

Matt encourages folks to try something new for 30 days.  He says that 30 days is long enough to form a habit, but not so long as to be unendurable if it turns out to be an activity you dislike.  Makes good sense to me!

My current 30 day fitness goals are pretty basic:  I'm trying to do a beginners' calisthenics routine daily, and to go for a walk every evening. Both are attainable, although I do confess to having to talk myself into doing the calisthenics. 

I failed at my fourth goal - to be mindful of what I eat - rather spectacularly. Apparently this is a big challenge for me!  I'm an emotional eater and this process of change has been very emotional.  It's something I'll continue to work on. 

I'm still not planning to worry about weight loss but I do need to work on my love of sweets.  I've decided that rather than counting calories or going on a diet of some sort, I'll simply focus on trying to eat the five to ten servings of vegetables and fruit I should be consuming daily.  If I manage that, and eight glasses of water (the last goal on the list, and one at which I've been quite successful), there probably won't be a lot of room left for goodies. 

Fingers crossed!

Reading back over this list and my comments, I find myself feeling that I was mighty ambitious when compiling that first list, and probably bit off more than I could chew. 

It's something many of us tend to do, I think. Our initial enthusiasm for change makes us think we can accomplish anything we set our minds to. 

And we can! 

We just need to break those big goals down into a series of smaller, more attainable steps.  

It's like that old joke that asks "How do you eat an elephant?"

The answer? 

"One bite at a time!"  ;^)



How are you doing with your goals?  I'd love to hear from you. 

Stop by my Facebook page or Twitter feed so we can share our successes and encourage each other over the rough spots.  The road is much smoother, and the journey more interesting, when traveled with friends.  :^)