Monday, 1 October 2012

Aunt B Has Left The Building


Some days are good days, others are hard work, we can feel like we're swimming up stream, or wading through porridge; but those days are valuable too. Those are the days when we discover we are uncomfortable enough to re-assess where we are investing our energy, those are the days when we are forced to look at the cold hard facts and decide whether we are serving our best interests by continuing”
-Hayley Darby 

This quote struck a chord with me.

I've been feeling like this about Facebook.

Ever since Facebook instituted Timeline and began deciding who would see my posts based upon some mathematical formula, I've been struggling to keep interaction with those who follow my page at some sort of meaningful level.  

It's not easy.  Facebook decides upon the number of people who see a post based upon the number of likes your earlier posts have received, the number of people not following your page who see your post because it is reposted, how frequently you post, and how often you like and comment on posts made by others.  

In order to show my posts to anything more than 10% of those who subscribe to my page, and in order to keep interaction with my subscribers at a level where more than 25% of them are talking about the page, I have to post at least hourly, and I have to post seven days a week.  

That's more than a full time job folks, and it's a job for which I receive no pay.

I'm not saying that a full time job is bad thing:  particularly when it's work that engages your mind and brings interesting people into your life.  But - just like everyone else - I need to pay the bills and put food on the table.  I work full time for wages, and the hours needed to maintain my Facebook presence are becoming problematic.

I find myself getting up three hours before work in order to get my blogging done and to set up timed posts so needed to ensure my Facebook presence throughout the work day.  I find myself spending my evenings and weekends working on my blogs, editing photos, and catching up on comments on my page.  I find myself with no time for the pastimes I love to share.  Worst of all, I find myself neglecting family time and friends in order to maintain my on line commitments.

Not good.

I've realized for some time that I need to make some changes so, in September, I took a couple of weekends off.  I spent time with friends and family.  I took a look at what life would be if I said goodbye to my Facebook commitment.  

I really enjoyed those weekends.  

As much as I enjoy my interaction with my Facebook friends, my family, my everyday real-life friends, my creative pursuits, and good old-fashioned leisure time are more important to me.   

It's time to focus more on what makes me happy.  

I'm looking forward to it.

43 comments:

Michelle said...

I shall miss seeing your informative happy posts {{{hugs}}} may We meet on the Island one day ;)

Alesha @ Full Time Mama said...

TOTALLY understand! We'll miss you, but so glad you'll keep up with the blog still!!! Enjoy your FB free time!!! :)

Terri said...

I totally understand where you're coming from. I hope you keep your personal page! I've also toyed with the idea to let either the HWWOJ page or the blog go. Hug!!!!

canadianbudgetbinder.com said...

Sad to see you go Aunt B as I've learned so much from you and always enjoyed your comments. I understand exactly what you said above and time is money. Facebook has really made changes that have hurt many people, my page included. We only live once, do what you feel is important while you are here... I know I will. I'll be around.. commenting on your lovely recipes...Cheers my friend... keep smiling. Mr.CBB :-)

Linda McDonald said...

Thank you for your heartfelt explanation. I absolutely loved seeing your posts....that being said-I already agree with everything you said regarding Facebook...it is not really user friendly....so you are in my prayers as you move forward - life is always about changes, and we grow when we make the right changes, which I think you did. Be true to yourself, I will miss you, but know you are good! Thank you
Linda

Sara Morrissette said...

We will miss you on FB but will still follow your blog. Please do remember to share. :) - Sara
Founder BoiseBackyardChickens.blogspot.com

cozycakescottage.com said...

Although I'm going to miss you on FB terribly, I completely understand. I shut down my personal FB a few months ago and didn't miss it at all. Now that I opened FB for my blog, I notice I am on it way more than I like to be. Will have to think it through as you did. But I'm happy to follow you on your blogs! You're always helpful, positive, fun and encouraging! ~Danielle/Cozycakes Cottage

Janet O said...

After reading this....I don't blame you! I am glad I found you on FB while it was still good. Take care of yourself and may God's blessings be always upon you! Janet O'Melia

Aunt B said...

That would be lovely Michelle. If you're ever going to be up this way, do leave me a note on one of my posts. It would be a treat to meet you. :)

Aunt B said...

Thanks so much Alesha. :)

Aunt B said...

Thanks Terri. Yes, I'll be keeping my personal page. :)

Aunt B said...

Thanks Mr CBB. I've learned a lot from your page too.

Aunt B said...

Thank you Linda for your good wishes. They mean a lot to me.

Aunt B said...

Thanks Sara. I will.

Aunt B said...

Thank you Danielle. I enjoy your blog very much and I'm grateful to you for following mine.

Aunt B said...

Thank you so much Janet. I'm glad I met you on FB too. I've enjoyed our conversations...and the grits! ;)

Velva said...

Totally understand. If you should change your mind, and decide to join us again, we will be here for you. Wish the best of luck.

Velva

Aunt B said...

Thanks Velva. :)

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

I can totally understand what you are saying, and I will continue to enjoy visiting your lovely blogs :)

Aunt B said...

Thanks April. I'll continue to visit yours too. :)

Debra Gates said...

I am folowing your blog and intend to continue following it. I'm sorry to see you leave FB, but understand your decision, you really do need to take time for yourself too. And I for one think FB should be ashamed for the way they conduct business and if there were another option, I would consider it. I want to thank you for your kind words and hope to meet you face to face someday. I'm going to miss you, but will keep up by your blog posts. I hope you get the chance to enjoy more weekends off, it does the soul good. :-) The Real Happy Homemaker

Jill said...

Now I understand.... sorry to see you go, but I understand the time commitment. Wishing you all the best! Thanks for helping me to grow my Facebook page.

Sincerely,
Jill

Heidi Zapolski said...

I completely understand. I have been debating for a while now on what changes I need to make to balance it all. I wish you the best and will continue to visit your blogs!

Herbgirl said...

Definitely going to miss you on FB so I must remember to visit you in blogland. I so enjoy your posts and do understand your reasoning. Glad you are doing what makes you happy!

kmac said...

Really saddened by this :( I always look forward to your FB posts, but I understand they have not made it easy and it is not a good lifestyle. I will try to follow your blog posts. :'''(

Aunt B said...

Thanks for understanding Debra. I'll be following your blog, and following your page from my personal FB page. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

Aunt B said...

Thanks Jill. I'll be following you still from my personal page. :)

Aunt B said...

Thanks Heidi. :)

Aunt B said...

Thanks for understanding. I'll be following you from my personal page so that I continue to see your posts.

Aunt B said...

Thanks for your kind words and for your understanding. :)

Della Rose said...

I completely understand Beth and I'm sorry to hear you won't be on there. I follow your posts now so I will be sure to comment more often so we can still chat. :) Much love for you and Godspeed in all of your pursuits. xoxo

Aunt B said...

Thanks Tara. I'll continue to follow you on FB through my personal page.

Addicted to Recipes said...

I am sad to see you leaving Facebook, but I TOTALLY understand. I'm disappointed to with the new format and I feel like I am missing out on many of my favourite blogs. Thanks for your explanation...and do keep in touch! I will be following your blog!
~Dawn
(a fellow BC-buddy!)

Aunt B said...

Thanks Dawn. I'll continue to follow Addicted to Recipes through my personal FB page.

Marlys-thisandthat said...

Was surprised when I saw on someone's page that you left facebook... but I do understand. I was locked out of facebook for 24 hours so missed your post... although I sometimes miss post because of FB... But will make sure that I am following your blog. Sorry to see you go and will miss you on facebook. Marlys

Aunt B said...

Thanks Marlys. I'll be following your blog too. :)

Sheri said...

A little late to the goodbye party but I will miss you!

Sheri said...

I will miss seeing your posts on FB, and I'll try really hard to keep up to date on your blogs. :) I get sidetracked at times and miss things, but I have really enjoyed chatting on FB.

Aunt B said...

Thanks Sheri. I'm going to miss my FB friends as well.

I too miss things on blogs (there are so many of them!) but find it's a little easier if I follow them by email. Then the updates come directly to my inbox.

BundlesofBlossoms said...

I will miss you so much on FB, Aunt B, but I understand the struggles involved as I deal with them daily and have to step back and regroup often with the new FB. We will all miss you so much and wish nothing, but peace of mind and lot of relaxation for your life and will be right here waiting for you if and when you decide to return-that's how friends do things (wink)

P.S. I am following both blogs now so I don't lose track of you :)

Aunt B said...

Thank you so much for the good wishes and for following my blogs. I'll be continuing to follow your posts from my personal page on FB.

BecHeflin said...

I'm so sorry to see you go, Beth, but I know all too well that in order for our heart to be happy, our mind must be filled with as many positive thoughts as possible. If you're anything like I am, worrying over statistics does nothing positive at ALL for my brain.

I wish you the very best in life, and may you continue to let your light shine <3

Aunt B said...

Thank you so much for your good wishes Bec. I'll continue to follow It's Yummilicious through my personal page. :)