Friday, 3 August 2012

Just What I Needed



Yesterday evening I went to visit a friend.  She lives in a town to the north of me so we decided on a meeting point mid-way, about an hour's drive from home for each of us.  We had a lovely visit and then, just after sunset, headed home.

I rounded a bend in the road and there it was:  the moon.  Not just any moon, either:  a HUGE full moon, hanging just above the tops of the trees, yellow against a sky that looked like it had been painted with a water colour wash.


It was wonderful.


My first response was "Damn!  I don't have my camera with me!" 


Then, as clearly as if it had been spoken aloud, an inner voice said, "Forget about what you don't have.  Look at what's here!"


I pulled the car off the road and sat, watching the moon as it rose higher in the sky, while the water colour wash darkened to blue.


And as I was watching, a feeling of perfect contentment - as fragile and evanescent as a soap bubble - settled in my heart.


I realized that, just at that moment, just in that place, life had provided me exactly what I needed.


Amazing how that happens.

No comments: